- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 lbs) cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt, optional
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, cubed
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown meat in oil. Add onion, water, seasoned salt, pepper, and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the vegetables, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat and vegetable are tender.
- Combine flour, cold water, and browning sauce until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.