- 6 to 8 medium peppers
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground venison
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup cooked rice, we prefer Basmati Rice
- Cut off the tops of peppers and remove seeds.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook peppers 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from water, drain and let cool slightly.
- In a cast-iron skillet cook onion until translucent. Add ground venison and salt. Cook thoroughly and drain if needed.
- Stir in tomatoes, cooked rice, and shredded cheese.
- Once peppers are cool enough to handle, stuff with meat filling. Sprinkle tops with extra cheese, if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until heated through.
- These peppers freeze beautifully. After stuffing peppers, freeze peppers prior to baking. After defrosting, bake according to the directions above.
- I put any extra filling in the pan with stuffed peppers and bake them in small servings. The extra filling is great for any family member who doesn’t care for peppers, or for those who want a little extra.